Back to School Emotions

Hi Friends!

It is almost that time again...back to school! It will be my 11th year of teaching! OMG!

Anyway...
Back to school time always comes with lots of emotions. 



Sometimes back to school season doesn't bring out the best in you. 
Here are some of the not so pretty emotions that I feel during this time of year:

1. Nervous:
There are little lives depending on how prepared I am. There are parents that want to know everything that I am doing... and why. I am usually very nervous at the beginning. 
What can I expect to happen this year? Will the kids like me? Will the parents be nice to me? How much will they want to be involved in their child's learning life? Will admin back me up?

2. Sad/Guilty: 
I am sad because summer went by so quickly. I enjoyed traveling this summer. I enjoyed random lunches with my parents and husband. I enjoyed watching all the Netflix with my husband. I am also sad because I miss my class from last year. Every year I go through this thing where I am so unsure about my new class and then all of the sudden LOVE my new class. I feel guilty that I feel sad that summer is ending. I feel guilty that I work so much on BTS or on TPT things. I feel guilty that my husband made dinner while I work... I'm sure some of you can relate? (I hope)

3. Jealous:
Sometimes, this comes up for me (and maybe you). I see Instagram and Facebook and wish I could do what others do for their kids. I'm sure some of you see my posts and wish you could do what I do for my kids. I want all the cute pillows. I want all the frames on the walls. I want allllll the Astrobrights quotes. However, I also want to eat and pay the bills. I have to remember that WE ALL do what we can for those kids in our rooms. We all do our best. My very first classroom was a hot mess, but I built it up by buying things little by little. Never feel like you have to #buyallthethings at once.

And then, there are the great emotions:

4. Excited:
I love to get back into my home away from home and start decorating (after I complain about it for weeks beforehand). I love having my own classroom and love how cozy and inviting it is once it's all put together. I love seeing the kids again (I don't have kids of my own, so it's nice to see those little cuties after the whole summer!). I love seeing my coworkers again. I LOVE buying new pens and containers. I love buying new planners that I use for about 3 weeks! So fun.

5. Amazed:
How does it always happen? The bulletin boards go up. The furniture gets moved. The fun pineapple string lights go up. It always comes together! Thank God for my parents and husband, Joe. They keep me running and always are there to help out. Plus, one of them will always bring me a Sonic drink and I'm amazed how much that helps me out as well.

6. Hopeful:
This. This is what keeps me going. It might be what keeps you going. I keep the hope that these kids will learn all they need to learn throughout the year. I am hopeful they like me. I hope that they know they are loved in my classroom. I hope that they will be prepared to go on to second grade. I am hopeful they will become amazing adults that will change the world for the better.


These are just SOME of the emotions I'm feeling before going back. I hope that some of you can relate to at least one of these emotions. If you do, let me know. I'd love to hear about something you're feeling before going back to school. It's okay to be sad. You're still amazing at what you do. It's okay to be nervous. It's only normal. It's okay to feel (a little) jealous. It's natural. 

I know you will change the world this year. You are shaping the future. No pressure. 
Have an amazing year. I am rooting for you. 





Comments